Some hours ago I wrote two posts. One about Eurovision and the other about the scandal of Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
Now I just want to write an apology to people of New York. An apology I want to make as a European citizen. Let me explain why I must apologize.
Some years ago I was sitting alone near Tiffany’s. It was middady and not very far you could see the green of Central Park. Then I had one thought that was so strong that years later I still remember: I SAW MYSELF AS A EUROPEAN.
You may say that it is not necessary to go to New York to realise that one is from Europe (if this is the case) but for some reason it was sitting among the skyscrapers of New York that I got a big sense of being an European.
I remeber that that thought gave me so much strength. For the first time I saw myself as a little ambassador of Europe. I was not just a tourist more in Manhattan. I saw myself as somebody who had left on the other part of the ocean such a wonderful old world so rich with heritage.
Why I say all this?
I say all this because now, when we read about the scandal of the chairman of the IMF we may just think about a very important person in troubled waters. But for me, what has happened makes me quite sad because I feel that if Dominique has done what he is accused of, then he is hurting me as a European.
When a European man o woman goes to Manhattan one finds something that we do not have in Europe. You find a city that makes all the cities of Europe look small and old. That was the sensation I had when I was in New York and I remember that when I return back to Europe I missed New York. But at the same time, when I was in New York I realize how wonderful Europe was. We were a lot of different nations with different languages, We were now living at peace and we had such a wonderful heritage. We had old churches, we had old castles.
so when I when to New York I felt twice in love. I felt in love with New York and I felt in love with Europe. New York made me believe in Europe. I felt in love with Europe in the 5th Avenue.
So, now, when I think about Dominique Strauss-Kahn in Manhattan I remeber when I was in New York and I cannot stop seing him as another European there. And it hurts a lot the possiblity that he could have made something wrong in Manhattan.
I also departed from JFK back to Europe. It was sad to leave New York but I knew that at the same time I was coming back to a rediscovered continent.
But the accusations to Dominique leave me with a very bad taste because it looks as a European that abuses the hospitality of New York and then tries to run back to Europe. This cannot be good for the image of Europe.
So, I just want to say, that if finally the accusations against the IMF chairman are true, I, as a European, I want to apologise to all the people of New York. The fact that one of the most important European politicians could have made such an offense makes me feel quite offended too.
If Dominique Strauss-Kahn is finally guilty of abuse the next time I visit NY, if I ever can go again, I won’t be so proud to be there as a European.
So, as you can see, for most people the scandal of Dominique Strauss-Kahn can be a big cloud for the financial institutions. For me the scandal is a blow to be European. I don’t like the word Eurotrash. I am afraid this scandal may bring this word to suface. I hope Dominique Strauss-Kahn is not guilty because if he is guilty the ones who talk about Eurotrash will have a one more reason to use that horrible word.
- Dominique Strauss-kahn Scandal and the Future of Catalonia (trenhoteleuropa.wordpress.com)
- Here’s The Dominique Strauss-Kahn New York Post Cover That Everyone’s Been Waiting For (businessinsider.com)
- VIDEO: Strauss-Kahn held for questioning (bbc.co.uk)
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn’s Arrest and Political Fallout (thedailybeast.com)
- NYC police arrest IMF head Dominique Strauss-Kahn in hotel sex assault (abclocal.go.com)
- “Dominique Strauss-Kahn Arrested in New York” and related posts (news.lalate.com)
- IMF’s Dominique Strauss-Kahn faces sex charge (revolutionizingawareness.com)
- IMF’s Strauss-Kahn in custody over sexual assault (marketwatch.com)
- What Are The Odds There’s A Plot Against Dominique Strauss-Kahn? (businessinsider.com)
- IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn arrested in New York over alleged sex attack on Manhattan hotel maid (telegraph.co.uk)
- You: IMF’s Strauss-Kahn accused of sex attack (menafn.com)
- Managing Director Of IMF Arrested For Alleged Sexual Assault (huffingtonpost.com)
- IMF chief Strauss-Kahn arrested in New York (marketwatch.com)
- Eurovision Blues (trenhoteleuropa.wordpress.com)
- IMF director held over ‘sex assault’ (heraldsun.com.au)
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn: IMF Head Arrested on Sexual Assault Charges (blippitt.com)
- IMF Head Dominique Strauss-Kahn Arrested in New York Sex-Crime Inquiry (politicore.wordpress.com)
- IMF chief accused of sexually assaulting New York hotel maid (theglobeandmail.com)
- Strauss-Kahn Held for Questioning in Assault, Police Say (businessweek.com)
- No he Kahn’t (economist.com)
- Head of IMF Arrested for Sexual Assault in NYC (skydancingblog.com)