Let me explain!
Today is one of these crazy days when a satellite goes down to earth, a Palestinian State will be asked at the United Nations and the most famous Jew of all modern times (pardon me, Woody …), my beloved Albert Einstein, has his speed of light limit question by a European laboratory called Cern in Geneve, not very far from where I’m writing.
If the news are true and the scientists in CERN are right in the fact that the speed of light is not a limit this means that the world is in front of the greatest discovery of the 21st century! And this won’t only have consequences in the rethinking of the Physics laws of the Universe (it is a revolution!) it will mean too a boost of trust in ourselves! By ourselves I mean humankind! The economic crisis that we are suffering now can have in this discovery a way of solving the crisis.
One can think that the limit of the speed of light and the current economic situation has no connection but in this post I want to say that I think that they are related! The problem in the world now is that we do not have trust in humankind! We do not trust ourselves! By making a discovery that puts into question the Physics of the 20th century that makes the 21st century a better century: we may know now something that they did not know in the 20th century! So even if the present looks gloomy this new discovery, IF CERTAIN, sends a message the humanking, despite everything, is progressing.
Well, all that said (This is the most important news I have read on my life!) I am going to try to know more about the “discovery” and I will write a new post explaining all I can about the speed of light according to Einstein and what people in CERN say. I will put here a link to the new post.
At http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4897.pdf you can find the information about the Opera experiment.
It seems that in some months we could have a confirmation or not of the results from Japan which has a sinilar experiement. On the US some years ago in the FERMILAB they found too neutrinos with a spped greater than light with the the measures were not so significant as now in the Opera experiment. In some three years they could give a new answer.
If the neutrinos travel faster than light this could mean that the Relativity Theory is wrong. It could also mean that we live in a world with more than four dimensions.
If the Opera Experiment is right and the neutrino travel faster than light then this would prove too that current “Old Europe” still can be very proud of itself for the discovery. It would be the first greatest discovery of this century! Made just at a stone’s throw from THE.CAT …
In the Washington post you could read:”
[Alexandra Petri has a great line in her blog post: “This is so huge that the Europeans are asking us to check it. They haven’t done that since the rise of the Third Reich.”] ”
I also have found this funny satire: http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s5i100269
- CERN – Faster Than The Speed Of Light Experiment (merovee.wordpress.com)
- Speed-of-light experiments yield baffling result at LHC (bbc.co.uk)
- Scientists Claim They’ve Detected Neutrinos Traveling Faster Than The Speed Of Light (geekologie.com)
- Light-speed results baffle at LHC (bbc.co.uk)
- Was Einstein Wrong? CERN Claims to Have Measured Faster-Than-Light Particle (blippitt.com)
- Scientists Report Breaking The Speed Of Light, But Can It Be True? : The Two-Way : NPR (monsterscifishow.wordpress.com)
- Strange Particles May Travel Faster than Light, Breaking Laws of Physics (livescience.com)
- Scientists Say E=MC2 Might Be Wrong, Say Neutrinos Are Faster Than Light (inquisitr.com)
- Particles break light-speed limit (nature.com)
- CERN claims to have discovered particle that travels faster than light (boingboing.net)
- Scientists Find That Neutrinos Move Faster Than Light (lezgetreal.com)
- “The feeling that most people have is this can’t be right, this can’t be real. … They are…” (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Faster-than-light back with surprising CERN discovery (go.theregister.com)
- The Opera Experiment (operaexperiment.wordpress.com)
- Faster than light particles found, claim scientists (guardian.co.uk)