One of the things that distinguishes Europe from the US is that in Europe we have a lot of languages of our own while in the US they just speak an European language. It is obvious that Europe cannot be understood if you do not take into account its wealth of different languages.
But I think that it would be good to have a common language. I know this is difficult because it is difficult to choose. Italians may say Italian is the most beautiful language so that Italian should be the chosen one. The French could say that the french language is related to glamour and the Germans could say that their language makes you concentrate on what you are saying.
Sometime in Europe when we think about other langauges of Europe we just see them as foreign languages and instead of seeing the closeness we just see the differences.
For example, Castilian and English may seem quite different but in fact for a Chine person they may look not so different: they used almost the same letters! What I mean with this is that even if English may seem a language quite different to castilian, French, catalan or Italian, it has something in common: the letters, the alphabet!
So, I think it would be a god idea to make English the language of Europe! Why English?
This are my reasons:
1. It is the language you can use around the world (is not that enough reason?)
2. It is a European language
I think that The English language should not be sen as the language spoken by the British and the American but as a European language that is understood worldwide!
If we chose the English language as the official language of Europe, the fact that in the US also speak English would make the official language of Europe even stronger!
Needless to say that besides the English language all the rest of languages would be official in their lands too! So that Europe would remain a place rich in diversity and at the same time being able to be strong around the world.
- Why English is The Universal Language (socyberty.com)
- European Day of Languages (englishelxni1.wordpress.com)
- What states in Europe use unilingual language throughtout its territory (wiki.answers.com)
- Vulgar Latin is Considered The “Lingua Franca” of The Western World (socyberty.com)
- Celebrate the 10th European Day of Languages! (languagerichblog.eu)
- The Power of Languages (languagerichblog.eu)
- Cagle Post ” Case For English As Our Official Language (mbcalyn.wordpress.com)
- How Many Languages In The World (mademan.com)
- Language watchdog goes interactive to teach French to the French (independent.co.uk)
- More than words: Celebrate the European Day of Languages (englezara.wordpress.com)