All this crisis in the eurozone, the Arab countries and now even in the streets of Wall Street make me have a sense of an ending of something. So when some days ago I knew that Julian Barnes had a novel called THE SENSE OF AN ENDING I wonder if the novel had connection with my sense of an ending.
Now he has won the MAN BOOKER PRIZE and that makes me happy and sad. It makes me happy because some years ago he came to Barcelona and I went to a conference of his. I think that the conference took place in La Pedrera, a building by Gaudí. But I went to two conferences with British writers so I am not sure in which one I saw him. Nonethe less I remember that in one conference the writer was a gentleman and I love the way he spoke and his manners. It was very delightful and you seemed to be in England. The way he spoke English made English look as a very wonderful and refined language. I think that the writer was Julian Barnes. But then, who was the other writer in the other conference? I remember that in the other conference I did not feel so well. Who knows, maybe that was the one of Julian Barnes. So I am confused! I know that about 2005 Julian Barnes published Arthur and George. The name of the novel and the gentle look of Julian Barnes in the photos makes me think he was the writer that made the delightful conference.
It seems that his new novel is related to loses of memory. As I have also lost memory I recommend anyone attending conferences to write nots about them so that in the future they know where they were. To buy the books of the writers would do too, of course.
- Julian Barnes wins Man Booker Prize (cbc.ca)
- ‘The Sense of an Ending’ by Julian Barnes wins Booker Prize (thestar.com)
- Julian Barnes wins prestigious Booker Prize (boston.com)
- Finally – a Booker Prize win for Julian Barnes (csmonitor.com)
- Julian Barnes wins Booker prize (bbc.co.uk)
- Julian Barnes – Man Booker Prize Winner (omnivoracious.com)
- Julian Barnes finally wins Man Booker prize for 11th novel The Sense of an Ending (100gf.wordpress.com)
- Julian Barnes wins Man Booker Prize (mirror.co.uk)
- Julian Barnes wins the 2011 Man Booker Prize (telegraph.co.uk)
- Julian Barnes ‘as relieved as delighted’ to win Man Booker Prize 2011 (telegraph.co.uk)
- Booker prize 2011: Julian Barnes triumphs at last (guardian.co.uk)
- VIDEO: Author Barnes ‘relieved and delighted’ (bbc.co.uk)
- You: Julian Barnes Wins the Man Booker Prize (nytimes.com)
- Man Booker Prize: Julian Barnes and our sense of a happy ending (telegraph.co.uk)