Today it happens something quite weird in BBC website. It writes a lot about the DIAMOND JUBILEE and it does not say a word about the URGENT MEETING OF G7 to discuss the situation of Spain!
I cannot believe this is happening in the frontpage of the BBC. it must be one of the few times that the BBC forgets its international coverage!
By the way, this sunday I made a special post about the Jubilee Diamond. Let me say that if I did that is because I am not a UK taxpayer! in THE GUARDIAN it seems that some jobless people were bussed to the celebrations. So, there are some people in the UK that still are critical about the celebrations. Anyway, from outside, the British Monarchy is perfect! You do not pay for it and you can enjoy all the gossip, etc about it. In any case if I was a British citizen i think I would be very critical about it but I hope I was able to see too that to have the oldest monarchy of the world is not so bad to attract tourism! Much better to have Elizabeth II as a Queen that a king who hunts elephants anyway.
Do you imagine that the French revolution had taken place in England and now we had a monarchy in Paris and a republic in London. Well, if that was the case, I am sure that the British press will laugh at old old-fashioned Europe . The British press will laugh at the old fashioned Paris with his old fashioned king in Versailles and so …
- Crazy For The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee? Here’s A Guide To The Guides (npr.org)
- Should UK abolish its monarchy? (edition.cnn.com)
- The left should love the Queen (newstatesman.com)
- Big Ben’s Renaming In Honor Of Queen Elizabeth For Her Diamond Jubilee Is Supported By British Government (ibtimes.com)
- Forget the Queen’s jubilee. Let’s have a knees up for the Magna Carta | Peter Wilby (guardian.co.uk)
- Diamond jubilee flotilla to launch on river Thames (guardian.co.uk)